As summer gets closer our schedules tend to get filled up with all the things: graduations, extra kid activities, vacations, summer pool parties, and the list goes on. These changes are hopefully filled with lots of fun and memories however, we can quickly loose control of our eating habits during this time. Friendly reminder…you are always in control of what you eat!
Here are 5 Habits you can take with you anywhere so you can enjoy yourself and still feel great.
1. Eat Slowly. Try to take at least 20 to 30 minutes to complete you meal. It takes up to 30 minutes for your body’s hunger hormones to kick in and tell you that you are full. If you are eating quickly you can sometimes get in 2 to 3 times MORE food than you actually need to be satisfied. So slow down, limit distractions while you eat and enjoy every bite.
2. Eat until 80% Full. Piggy backing off #1 eating until you are 80% full will help you to not over eat and get in the right amount of food that your body needs at that time. This is so easy to take anywhere and to apply to whatever you are eating.
3. Add Protein to Every Meal. Your meals may consist of other things especially during vacation and travels however it is very doable to get protein in at each meal. This can be meats, seafood, beans, quinoa etc. Ladies shoot for at least 1 palm size and men shoot for at least 2 palm size. Protein is an essential nutrient for your body to function and it will help keep you fuller longer and prevent you from overeating.
4. Add Veggies to Every Meal. You may also be eating ice cream, chip and drinking beer by the pool but be sure to add in your veggies too. Try to get in at least 2 (ideally 3) fist sizes worth of veggies at each meal. These can be raw, steamed, roasted, grilled, whatever you fancy. ADDING veggies will help you to fill up on nutritious foods and not just empty calories. Oh, and you will feel better rather than being bloated all summer long.
5. Drink Water…and then Drink More Water. We can’t live without water. During the summer it is easy to get dehydrated due to heat, being outdoors more and possibly having an increase in our alcohol consumption. Staying hydrated with water helps with weigh management and so much more. For how much water you should be drinking a day Check out my prior post on water here.
No matter where you are in the world or what you are doing ALL of these habits can be used on a daily basis at EVERY meal. Boom. Now go try it out!