When it comes to making goals, specifically health and fitness goals we often start off with what we do NOT want…
- I don’t want to be overweight
- I don’t want to be out of break walking up the stairs
- I don’t want to be on medications
- I don’t want to feel tired all the time
The list could go on. While this is can be a good start it is much better to decide what DO want and to envision that goal. This allows you to take action and make plans.
When I meet with my nutrition clients I like to ask them the “magic wand” question…it goes something like this. “if you could waive a magic wand what would your life look like in one year? What would you be doing? How would you look and feel?” Everyone will have a different vision. Maybe it’s something like running my first 5K, my whole family eating vegetables at dinner, climbing a mountain, I feel great when I look in the mirror, I am the strongest I’ve ever been, I can do a pull up, I am playing on the playground with my kids, I am off my medicaitons…Feel free to dream BIG and get as specific as possible.
Nutritious Nuggets Challenge of The Week:
- Take 5 minutes as ask yourself the “magic wand” question.
- Write down what you envision (remember you are writing down what you are doing, rather than what you are not doing)
- If you feel like it you can even be more creative with it and make a vision board or create something to remind you of how you would like your life to look in a year
- Once, you have completed this list think of ONE small action you can take this week to help get you a little closer to that goal. Make a solid plan on how you will accomplish this small action everyday this week.
And BOOM! you are on your way to becoming a better you.