Summer tends to be a crazy fun time for all of us. We have vacations, parties, festivals, sports, family gatherings, pool parties, kids camps; a jammed packed schedule. Driving from place to place or lying pool side all day can make it difficult to get in a good balanced home cooked meal. I wanted to offer this week a few of my favorite go to meals that take less than 30 minutes to prepare during those times of mayhem.
Sheet Pan Fajitas:
I love sheet pan meals because not only do they take 30 minutes or less to cook it also leaves me with only one pan to clean afterwards!
- 1-2 pounds of chicken breast (cut into 1 inch strips)
- 2-3 bell peppers (cut into strips)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1-2 cups of cherry tomatoes
- ~2 T olive oil
- 2 t garlic powder
- 2 t cumin
- 2 t chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Chop chicken, peppers, onions. Place all ingredients on a large sheet pan. I like to do this in sections-so all the chicken is together and then next to that would be the peppers and so on.
- Drizzle olive oil over chicken and veggies, slightly toss to prevent sticking to your pan (you can always put parchment paper under to really prevent this and or easier clean up!)
- Sprinkle spices and mix
- Bake in oven for 20-25 minutes until chicken is done.
- I like to put all these ingredients in a bowl with spinach or cauliflower rice (you can buy bags of cauli rice and microwave in 5 minutes…so easy). or serve with tortillas, you do you.
- Top with your favorite fajita toppings.
Mix and Match “Rice” Bowls:
There really are unlimited options with rice bowls. I always have bags of frozen cauliflower rice on hand, I get mine from Trader Joes or Sprouts. I like cauliflower rice as oppose to rice to get in more vegetables.
- 1-2 pounds of cauliflower rice, or you can use regular rice 1-2 cups
- Optional bowls:
- Mexican Bowl
- 1 lb ground beef, chicken or turkey
- salsa, to taste
- 1 avocado
- veggie options: chopped onions, olives, chopped peppers
- Greek Bowl:
- 1 lb ground beef, ground lamb
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1-2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cucumber, chopped
- Optional: feta cheese
- Stir Fry
- 1 lb ground chicken or shredded precooked rotisserie chicken
- 3-4 eggs
- 1/4 chopped onion
- 1/4 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 c frozen peas
- Top with soy sauce or coconut aminos
- Cook cauliflower rice on stove top OR for even simpler option warm in microwave-just follow directions on the package.
- While rice is cooking, brown meat and chop your choice of veggies. If there are any veggies you would like to saute for ~5 minutes do so while meat is browning.
- Add all ingredients together. Boom!
Crockpot Chicken and Veggies:
Crockpot meals are so easy as long as you plan ahead a little for them. This chicken and veggies allows you to cook an entire meal and set it and forget it, just be sure to put in in 6 to 8 hours BEFORE you need to eat it.
- 1 Whole Chicken
- Your favorite veggies, my go to may include any combo of:
- 2-3 cups chopped carrots (or even easier baby carrots)
- 3-4 chopped potatoes
- 1/2 onion
- 2-3 cups broccoli
- Your favorite spices, my go to may include any combo of:
- Garlic/garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- Place thawed chicken in a crockpot.
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and rub to evenly spread
- Add spices to chicken and rub to evenly spread
- Add veggies and place on low for 6-8 hours.