Let’s celebrate the fall season with some savory stuffed acorn squash! I love this dish because all you have to do is pop it in the oven. With squash, sausage, and apples it is like a big o’ spoonful of fall exploding in your month.
- 3 Acorn Squash
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 lb Italian sausage (pork, turkey or chicken)
- 1 red apple (thinly chopped into bite sized pieces)
- 1 sprig of rosemary (finely chopped)
- 2 cups of fresh spinach/kale (roughly torn/chopped)
- 1 t garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 eggs (whisked)
- pomegranate seeds
- pumpkin seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut acorn squash in half and scoop out seeds. Drizzle squash with olive oil (rub all over inside) salt and pepper to taste. Place squash in a baking dish butts down. Bake for 15 minutes.
- While squash is baking, in a large bowl mix together all other ingredients. I find it best to roll up your sleeves, get a littler dirty and just mix it by hand but you can always use a rubber spatula if you prefer.
- After 15 minutes of squash baking remove from oven and spoon in mixture to the hole of the squash. Fill liberally and pack down a bit into the squash.
- Return to oven and bake for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove for oven, let cool for 10 minutes and add your favorite toppings.